Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error VFP or ASP??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tboston

Programmer
Dec 24, 2001
US
I have an asp page that is using com objects creating in Visual Fox Pro. The ASP page is returning the following error:

Microsoft Active Server Pages Error '80020009'
User-interface operation not allowed at this time

/ebatch/confirm.asp, line 65

The line of code that is being referenced is the component.
I have already completed the following actions:
-rebooted the server
-stopped and restarted the component services
-refreshed the component itself (in this case, renewals.renewal)

This application was working just fine yesterday and no changes to the code, hardware, DSN's, network settings have been made since. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-tboston
tamiboston@yahoo.com

Hi T,

Judging by the text of the error message, it looks like your VFP component is trying to display information on the screen, which is not allowed in a VFP COM object.

Any of the following actions in VFP could cause this to happen:

- A messagebox, wait window or similar.

- Using the ? or @ command.

- Launching a form.

- Invoking VFP's default error handler.

That last one is important. If an error occurs in your code (say, a syntax error) and you don't have an error handler in place to deal with it, VFP will invoke its default error action, which is to put up a Cancel / Ignore error message. Since that error message involves displaying information on the screen, which is not allowed in a COM object, the application will crash.

Let me know if the above helps at all, or if anything needs clarifying.
Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

Hey M,
Thanks for the suggestions. With your response i looked at all of the things you've mentioned and determined that the problem must be in the registration of the component. When going into the componenet services to view that particular component's methods folder contained within the interfaces folder everything is listed in duplicate. I can't say for sure and without a doubt...but i believe this is where the problem is. I am not a foxpro programmer but from what you've said that the "VFP component is trying to display information on the screen, which is not allowed in a VFP COM object" tells me that if there are database fields listed in the component, they should match up with the the fields that are actually in the database. and if the component listing of the database fields are in duplicate, that may shoot an error. Is this so?

I am also sending you a screenshot (to the email account you've listed) of the area i am referring to, in case i haven't explained myself well enough. In the meantime, i will make an attempt to recompile the .dll

-T

Toni,

<< if there are database fields listed in the component, they should match up with the the fields that are actually in the database. and if the component listing of the database fields are in duplicate, that may shoot an error>>

It's quite possible, but there's no way of knowing for sure. it depends on what the VFP code is doing. Do you have access to the VFP code?

By the way, sorry for the mix-up about the screen shot. I thought you sent it to me in error ... I hadn't realised it related to this query. (I was still half-asleep at the time). Unfortunatley, the screen shot didn't add any further information. Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back