Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error Updating To SP1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark1110

Programmer
Apr 20, 2005
US
Hi,
I am using windows 7 64 bit version and when I tried to update to SP1, everything downloaded fine, I disabled my spyware and virus protection, ran the file. It didn't give me any errors when it was doing the installation. The system rebooted and when it was applying the updates I got this error message:

Fatal Error 0000009A applying update, operation 118871 of 337199

I ran this twice and got the same error message. I had to restore my files using system restore. Does anyone know what this error message means and how I can update to SP1?

Thanks,

Mark

There doesn't seem to be much around on any Error 0000009A, is that the correct, full, and exact error message that you received?

Can you try once more to get the Windows Update to install, or reboot successfully, try this method, as a two step process.

Disable ALL non-Microsoft Services, and ALL Startup programs via the MsConfig Tool.

Also try this user too.

This example might or might not work for you with SP1, it uses the built-in Administrator account to perform the install?

"It seems that the "Run as administrator" command only gives you some administrative privileges, and they're not enough to install Java (and OpenOffice, by association). In order to get around this, you need to actually log into the built-in administrator. Open a command prompt with admin rights by clicking start, typing cmd into the search/run box, and hitting CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER. At the prompt, type:

net user administrator /active:yes

Then log out of your regular account and back in as the built-in administrator, where you might be able to install the program. When you're done, log back into your regular account and, for security purposes, disable the built-in administrator account using:

net user administrator /active:no "

Make sure that Windows is fully updated with all other updates, especially any Windows 7 Reliability Updates, a couple of which should have preceded SP1, but any older ones too.

Disconnect any easily removed hardware such as USB things too.

Make sure you are not seeing any Access Permissions type of problems. There will be logging available, such as the WindowsUpdate.log, and the CBS.log.

Use the Vista instructions in this to reset to default the security settings.

How do I restore security settings to the default settings?

Solving setup errors by using the SubInACL tool to repair file and registry permissions

You could also use the full installer for SP1 rather than the smaller in size Windows Update method.

Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (KB976932)

You probably need one of the last two listed downloads on that page. There is a lot of other useful information on that page too.

here is some info (though it talks about W2k, it nevertheless could still apply to Windows 7)

I would suggest that you update ALL drivers to the latest, remove any unnecessary hardware (e.g. USB sticks, PCI cards that are not needed) these can be re added at a later time...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back