Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error: unable to support current country setting 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOKIDOG

Technical User
Apr 25, 2001
US
I keep getting the error: unable to support current country setting .... When FAXing. Then it tells me to reset to the USA in the modem application in the tray. But it is already set to the USA. This comes up every time, even after changing to another country, rebooting and changing back to the USA and rebooting! The Motorola SM 56 properties box comes up and I close it, then it pops up again and close it and then it's OK, till the next time I send a fax. This has only just come up upon updating my modem drivers to the new set. Any help is appreciated. The modem does work despite this error - but its a royal pain.

Same thing happened to me when I let MS update my modem driver during Windows Update. It went away when I removed sm56hlpr from the run section of the registry. (I used a standalone msconfig.exe program available for win2000 to remove it although you can hack it out manually going to HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run).
Cheers, David

I sort of fixed it when I reinstalled a lesser driver from Motorola. But my modem still wouldn't pick up calls = voice messaging. I bought a Hayes external modem and it works great. I just had to reinstall everything on a new hard drive and the annoyance is back again with the country setting (for some reason even though I'm using the new modem for voice messaging the program checks all modems and starts the country setting problem). I'll try your fix.

Don't do this on Windows 2003. If done, the modem goes off hook as soon as someone logs in and you lose the line.

drdbrown - Dude, Uda man!!! :cool:

Been rebuilding a PC for a friend. Downloaded and installed the WindowsXP/2K DFV/Universal 6.05.00 driver from
Everything looked good after the driver install. BUT, kept getting that country setting error with the Motorola SM56 Modem.

Per your post, I did a regedit, backed up current registry, then searched for and deleted sm56hlpr. We're back on-line!

THANKS FOR YOUR POST!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back