Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error: Unable to resolve application set name 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobber

Programmer
Sep 14, 2001
US
Please can you help us. We have a number of users using the same machine. When we create a desktop icon for a user it works fine. Until another user logs onto windows and then the icon no longer works. We get the message 'Unable to resolve application set name'. This means we have to set up an individual icon for every user on the desktop for every machine they use. They also have to re-start the computer and log in as their own user profile from the start. Some pc's now have about 10 icons on their desktop.
Please can some one help as this is causing a major problem.
Thanks

Look up this Citrix article on the Citrix web site... Document ID: CTX443455 As Citrix says "NOTE: This behavior is by design". They offer you a couple of solutions.
But, may I ask why you have multiple users using multiple desktops? Sure looks as if you're just asking for trouble.

Let me know if this helps you.

-- Devil Dog --

We have instances where 10 different users share the same machine. This is the best way i've found to cope with this.
This can be confusing and if you have any questions, write direct to rhynes@hotmail.com
Install the client as normal. You must use direct connections.
When finished, open the program manager, there should be an icon on the desktop.
Click Add ICA connection
Click Next...
Click on the "server location" button.
In the box that pops up, UNCHECK the default box and click on ADD...
A new box pops up. Type in the Citrix server IP address. 192.168.1.1 then ok...
Verify the settings then click on OK.
Click on the "Published Application" radio button and click on the drop down menu below it.
Select the Application you want to access from the server.
The program will automatically change the program name in the upper box.
NOTE: If you do not have rights to the program, you will not be able to run it.
Verify settings and click on next...
Verify the settings on the next page and click on next.
Encryption level should be kept to basic. just leave the use default checked.
It's important not to enter the username and password at this point.
select your window size and color resolution.
Click on finish and you're done...

The appsrv.ini file is THE main file dealing with connections to the citrix server.

Create the file with one user by setting up all published applications that this user needs.
This will be your master user template.
Go to c:\windows\profiles and delete all user directories (profiles) EXCEPT this current user
Once all the apps are set, copy the entire user directory (go to c:\windows\profiles)
ie: right click on the user, and click copy, paste it into the same directory .
Now you have a folder named "copy of user". Rename this to another user that uses this machine.
Now log into the citrix server using every different connection you have set up.
This ensures all connections are ok.
exit all programs.
Do this for all users that share this machine.

it works for us, hope it works for you...

Sorry, I forgot to take out our CITRIX IP address of 192.168.1.1, use your own IP.

Many thanx to DevilDog and ares69 for your help.

DevilDog my company works several shifts around the clock thats is why we need multiple logons. It is a pain as you rightly said but unavoidable unfortuantly.

We have created an ICA file icon which skips around the name problem. Now anyone can log on the machine and the icon will let them enter their password and username and log on.

If anyone wants some more info on this write to jobberjon@ntlworld.com and I will be glad to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back