Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error trying to connect via Enterprise Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

chelandrew

IS-IT--Management
Oct 8, 2001
US
Get a 'General OLE Error 16386' when trying to connect to remote sqlserver 2000 from enterprise manager client. Yet I can connect just fine with utilities like osql or query analyzer. I've checked connect properties and they are correct. Worked fine up until a few days ago. Reboot didn't help.

I too am getting this error.

Anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks

You may have installed software that replaced the sqldmo.dll file and the current file isn't compatible with SQL 2000. Check to see if you have two sqldmo.dll files on your PC. (sqldmo.dll should be in the SQL Server program folder - C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn.)

If so do the following.
[ul][li]Unregister the older sqldmo.dll by running regsvr32 /u sqldmo.dll from a command prompt window
[li]Rename the old sqldmo.dll to sqldmo.old
[li]Register the newer sqldmo.dll by running regsvr32 sqldmo.dll from a command prompt window[/ul]If you only have one sqldmo.dll file, then make sure the version is 2000.080.nnnn.00. You may need to reinstall the correct version from the SQL install CD.

Let me know if this helps.
Terry L. Broadbent
FAQ183-874 contains tips for posting questions in these forums.
NOTE: Reference to the FAQ is not directed at any individual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back