Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ERROR: The Volume specified is not snappable

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgw69

MIS
Mar 31, 2003
US
I am running BE 9.0. I am trying to backup a directory on a server running on the network. I have the remote agent running on that server. I keep getting an error that "the Volume specified is not snappable". The backup fails.
any ideas? thanks
dgw

Where does the error occur? Is it a CD-ROM?

The only technote on Veritas with the word "snappable" in it says this:

Exact Error Message:
OFO: Initialization failure on: "\\SERVER\C:". Advanced Open File Option used: Veritas Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP). OFO: Volume specified is not snappable. Possible reasons: Not a fixed drive, or contains an active cache file or does not have a valid source or is write protected.

Solution:
Use of the Advanced Open File Option (AOFO) will cause Jobs to stay in a pre-processing state longer than Jobs that are not using this option. There is no set time limit for how long a job should or should not stay in this state. The length of time a job is in pre-processing is directly related to how much data is selected to be backed up.

If the job never changes from a "pre-processing" to a "running" state, cancel the job and check for the _BEVspCacheFile_0.TMP file on the target server's hard disk.
Check the file details of this file. If the modified date and time is different than when the last backup job started, then this file was probably present on this machine prior to the backup job. This cache file is normally deleted after the backup job finishes successfully. A possible cause for this file to not be removed from a server is that the backup job might have terminated unexpectedly due to a server shutdown or the Backup Exec services being stopped. Cancelling a backup job that is using AOFO might also cause this file to be left active on the target machine.

If it is determined that there is an active cache file on your target server, rebooting the system should remove the file and allow future AOFO backups to run normally.

From

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back