Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error starting VNC service

Status
Not open for further replies.

humbletech99

Programmer
Nov 22, 2005
GB
I have a machine running VNC, a 2000 pro box I believe, and I am having trouble accessing it.

I have tried restarting the vnc service with a remote mmc to services, but I get the following error:
Code:
Could not start the VNC Server Version 4 service on MACHINENAME

Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion
and then
Code:
Unable to query status for service VNC Server Version 4. The remote connection on MACHINENAME has been broken.
Code:
The system encountered the following error while reading the list of services on MACHINENAME

Error 6: The handle is invalid.

Then all the services disappear.

I have also tried:
Code:
psexec \\machinename cmd
net start winvnc4
which gives the following error
Code:
The service is not responding to the control function.

Then I get
Code:
Error communicating with PsExec service on soupdragon2
The specified network name is no longer available

Any ideas how I can fix this and get my vnc back short of rebooting? (people are using this with long running processes so I am not in such an easy position to reboot)

What VNC are you using? RealVNC, TightVNC? Also, I've seen something similar when a firewall was added to machine. And, have you updated your Java recently on your machine lately?

nothing should have been update on this machine.

it is realvnc. There is no firewall on this host, it is 2000 pro.

I know you said "short of rebooting" but that would be my next suggestion. If the PC has not been rebooted in a while, stuff like this commonly happens.

I had the exact same problem, but had the luxury of being able to reboot, which fixed and it has never done it since.

The machine had no firewall running running or installed.

you can run inplace upgrades on VNC without rebooting.
Check ultra vnc and tight vnc websites.
they give good info on how to do this.

Aftertaf

Sometimes it just needs a good kicking.

I use TightVNC, and can install it without restarting. You could always try stopping the current service and installing Tight and seeing if you can connect to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back