Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error starting MSDOS programs in Full Screen mode 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimCHTECH

IS-IT--Management
Jan 23, 2004
US
We have a customer running three windows 2000 workstations connected to windows 2000 server. On each of the workstations they run a number of MSDOS programs. On one of the computers they are getting an error when attempting to run the MSDOS Programs:

"The video device failed to initialize for full screen mode" Cancel - Ignore.

If they choose ignore the program will start up but the graphics are messed up and almost unreadable.

Nothing has changed on this computer that would have caused this issue, except a week or so ago the video card started to act all funky so they uninstalled it, removed it from the motherboard, reseeded it and reinstalled it and everything seemed to be running fine from there. All the other computers are able to access the programs perfectly.

I've checked around and usually this problem only happens when accessing an MSDOS program through Terminal Services, but they are accessing it locally. I've already talked to the customer and had them turn the resolution down to 640x480/256 mode to no avail. Any suggestions?

make a batch file to run before the app.

MyApp.Bat content:
set mode: cols=80 lines=25
MyApp.exe

Have the shortcut of the msdos app point to the batch file instead of the exe file.

:)

Ali Koumaiha
TeknoSoft Inc
Farmington Hills, Michigan

Ok, this is weird, I had a chance to go look at it on Friday. Pretty much, when you go in and start a command prompt (or the actual dos program) it'll start in Windowed Mode. If you open the cmd properties and specify for it to start in Full Screen mode and apply the changes to all future windows, even when you open up a new window it's still in Windowed mode and the Full Screen option has reverted to Windowed. When you specify for one of the DOS apps to start in Full Screen it gives you the above error and then starts in a really messed up windowed resolution (like 800 by 250) with weird colors. I've checked the DOS and Display settings on the affected computer and they are exactly the same as the other workstations that run full screen mode perfectly.

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back