Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error running insdtall_db

Status
Not open for further replies.

danno74

IS-IT--Management
Nov 13, 2002
US
Greetings,

Trying to install MySQL on a Solaris 10 server. After setting the permissions correctly for the directories as the directions dictate, I get the following errors when I proceed to the next step to install the tables:

mysql > scripts/mysql_install_db --user=mysql
scripts/mysql_install_db: !: not found
Installing MySQL system tables...
ERROR: 1036 Table 'db' is read only
080208 7:17:48 [ERROR] Aborting
080208 7:17:48 [Note] ./bin/mysqld: Shutdown complete
Installation of system tables failed!

I'm a newb, so I'm not sure where to go with this. I tried looking up some of the errors on google, but I can't figure it out. Any ideas? I know I cannot login, I get this error I believe because the service isn't working:

ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (146)

Thanks.

- Dan

Alright, finally found that I needed to chmod 777 the data folder, then it worked.

Now I'm trying to start the service via this cmd:

bin/mysqld_safe --user=mysql &

And got another permission error in the same directory:

080208 8:10:10 [ERROR] /usr/local/mysql-5.0.51a-solaris10-sparc-64bit/bin/mysqld: Can't create/write to file '/usr/local/mysql-5.0.51a-solaris10-sparc-64bit/data/wimpy.pid' (Errcode: 13)
080208 8:10:10 [ERROR] Can't start server: can't create PID file: Permission denied

The folder has full rights, so I don't see how this could happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back