Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ERROR: Reports.dic needs updating

Status
Not open for further replies.

cricketman

Technical User
Nov 8, 2003
US
Have about 8 users on Dynamics 8.0, using a shared reports dictionary. (Server is Win 200 SBS, SQL 2000). All was working fine, then I needed to change one user's machine so had to do a new install of DYN on that box. After the install, I get an error upon login to DYN that says the reports dictionary needs to be updated. SET file does point to the correct shared dictionary which all other machines are using without issue.

Looked back on some old tech papers, and think I may have run DYN Utilities at the wrong point during the install (ie: before installing latest svc pack, etc). Ran UTILS again, and looks like it cannot open the reports.dic file, so it isn't updating. The path is valid, I can browse to the dic in Explorer... What could be wrong?

Should I uninstall & reinstall, and be sure to load svc packs etc before running Utilities per the papers?... or is there an easier fix?

Thanks,

cricketman

Typically when I get this message it is because the versions (service pack) of the local machine and shared reports.dic are seen as different. Make sure they are all running the same service pack verison.

If this does not solve the issue, in version 8 i believe you can still copy the code folder from a workstation that is working onto the workstation that is having the issue.

If this does not solve the issue, uninstall and reinstall should making sure you aplly the same service before you point to the shared file.

What svc pack applies to the shared dictionary? I don't quite understand, since it's just a file by itself...?

And what "code folder" are you referring to that I can copy from one workstation to the other?

The file sitting on the share, will already have a SP applied to it. When you run a SP on a workstation that is pointed to that file, it will update the files as well.

The "code" folder is where you load the actual code for GP.

Typically it is c:\Program Files\Microsoft Business Solutions\Great Plains.

every service pack could do something to your files including the reports dictionary. Perhaps there was an error in the report, or a new report was added or a mistake was located and corrected in the report by the service pack. That's why it requires to be updated.

synchronize your workstations to the same service pack level and if necessary run the update on the reports dictionary.

-----------
and they wonder why they call it Great Pains!

jaz

Copied the code folder from a working workstation as Sniper187 suggested & all is well.

THANKS!

eventually everyone gets to that conclusion

;)

-----------
and they wonder why they call it Great Pains!

jaz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back