Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error reported on Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tatchina

IS-IT--Management
Apr 18, 2001
US
Someone pls tell me what you think this problem may be: I have had sucessful backups up until a couple of days ago...This is what I am getting:

Backup Status

Tape device reported an error on a request to read data from tape.

Error reported:
Unrecognizable data.
Tape device reported an error on a request to mount the tape.

Error reported: Unrecognizable data.

This error appears all the time once it gets to a certain directory in the C: drive.

I get this message occasionally. Generally rebooting the server fixes it (Win 2000 apparently likes rebooting one a month or so). I have some other tapes where I suspect either the tape is worn (unlikely) or the drive heads are dirty (more likely, as I havent cleaned them for 12 months).
I have a spray can of video head cleaner at work today -- if that works I'll post a reply.

No luck after head cleaning -- still gettting this error message on a tape that previously gave trouble. Are we discussing Travan backups here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back