Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

error registering oledb32.dll in PDW load

Status
Not open for further replies.

baugie

Programmer
Apr 9, 2003
US
I am trying to create a quick deployment for my app using the Package and Deployment Wizard (PDW). I am running into a problem with the oledb32.dll files. I get an error that it failed to load resource oledb32r.dll, followed by an error registering the oledb32.dll. The oledb32r.dll is not included within the PDW File List. The setup.lst file has the following line for the oledb32.dll file:

File65=@oledb32.dll,$(WinSysPath),$(DLLSelfRegister),$(Shared),2/20/03 4:39:02 PM,442368,2.80.1022.0

Anyone had this problem before? There isn't much help posted for this problem with these files.

Thanks in advance for your help!

baugie
[cheers]

Load the MDAC_Typ.Exe onto W95,W98,ME, NT4 systems first by adding it to the Redist folder in VB\Wizards\PDWizard\Redist

dellyjm...I am looking into the Visual Installer now...

cclint...MDAC is loaded, I did the test install on the development computer which is running XP.

Thanks for responses, keep em coming!

Then remove the references for ADO and OLEDB from the package. (make sure the version you are using, or higher, has been indeed loaded via the same MDAC_Type version - then the P&D will not need to install the one in the Setup.lst).

The development computer was simply the first test setup, as I assumed it would work. So I need to keep references to ADO and OLEDB as most workstations won't have those components by default.

I did find a fix (at least it worked on the development computer). I added the file oledb32r.dll to the file list in the PDW and it loaded without error. Although I need to do some more serious testing on clean computers.

Thanks for all of your input.

Regards,

baugie
[lightsaber]

You are going about it the wrong way.
When I said references, I didn't make myself clear (wrong choice of word). I meant to remove it from the package.

No wait, I did say "Package".
Anyways, do as I said and it should be fine (this, OLEDB, is how it was intended to be installed: through the MDAC_Typ).

OK...so you are saying that the oledb32.dll file is part of the MDAC load (which makes sense) so get rid of them both within the package and handle the MDAC separately. Makes sense since the PDW won't actually run the MDAC if it is part of the install.

I tried it my way and a workstation had the reoccuring problem of:

Setup cannot continue because some system files are out of date on your system. Click OK if you would like setup to update these files for you now. You will need to restart Windows before you can run setup again. Click cancel to exit setup without updating system files.

I will try nixing them from the setup this time. Hope it works!

baugie

[cheers]

> Makes sense since the PDW won't actually run the MDAC if it is part of the install.

Sure it will. The P&D will install it automatitically as mentioned.

>Setup cannot continue because some system files are out of date on your system

This is a problem discussed many times here.
On W2000/XP systems it is even more of a problem and the best is to use the Windows Installer instead.
For W95, W98, ME, and NT4, and under certain conditions you can get around this by making sure that the OS you are installing to has the latest service pack.
At least make sure all running programs, no matter what they are (even anti-virus, print manager resident programs) are shut down prior to installation (as we have always seen recommended during installations).
Then those system files can be replaced, or will not need to be replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back