Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error: "The Extranet Connection has been closed"

Status
Not open for further replies.

SabinaZ

Technical User
Jan 19, 2003
US
Hello,
Has anyone seen the following problem?
It is with the Extranet Access Client. Connection through Cable modem. The connection gets dropped with the following error. Thanks! :)

Extranet Access Client

The routing table cannot be altered after the Extanet Clonnection has been established. The Extranet Connection has been closed.

When are you seeing this? Is it right after the connection is made, or does it stay up for a while? Anything else going on when it dies?

Are you by chance running RIP on the client? Something is obviously trying to access the routing table, and that's the only thing that I can think of that would do it without user intervention. Of course, if someone were to try to manually add a route after the client was started . . . but they would know they were doing that.

If that doesn't point out the problem, what OS is the client running, and what version of the client software?

Hello,

The connection stays up for about 5 minutes. It's a laptop with 2000 workstation. The Extranet client is 3_70.30. Latest Novell client is installed. RIP is not used. Accessing email and IE at time. Is it anything that could be on the router configuration?

Have you found the answer to this issue. I am getting dropped with the same message (The routing table cannot be altered after Contivity...) but drop always occurs after 10 min. and 30 seconds

msucato,
Not yet. I haven't really been on it though. I'll let you know if I find anything. Let me know as well. Thanks! Sabina

This can be caused when your internet connection has an DHCP address. At renewal of DHCP, the routing table gets altered (W2K allows this). However, the Extranet client does not support this, because of security reasons, and drops the connection.

We have users that have a ADSL connection with a lease time of 1 Hours, and they get dropped after 15 minutes.

msucato,
I'm not sure if you found a resolution to the error but I'll tell you what I have tried. The computer that was having the problem was a laptop. She connected through a cable modem. I gave her a docking station to take home and test to see if she would disconnect. She did not have the problem after that. I believe that it may be a setting on the nic driver. Try changing the link speed on the nic. (auto detect maybe) I haven't been able to see the laptop yet to try this. I'll let you know. :)

Thanks for the info Sabina. The problem we were seeing happened across multiple machines at a customer site. These machines were laptops and desktops running 2000 and NT, but NICs I believe were all set to auto negotiate.
Unfortunately, I'm not at this site any more to troubleshoot, but have sniffer captures taken during the VPN drop problem. The captures don't really point to a clue and are inconclusive as far as I can tell.
I'm glad to hear your problem went away... I will continue to search for answers to resolve mine. Interesting that docking station made the difference.

Thanks!
Mike

I am receiving the same error with XP on a notebook. But the odd issue is I have set up two PC's, exact same notebooks, same OS, same software....etc, this one PC when testing via dialup, returns the error ".... routing table cannot be altered after the Extanet Clonnection has been established"

I am going to test to see if it will resolve it self utilizing a boadband connection. Anyone have any idea's?????

marty

I am getting the same "routing tables cannot be altered" error message after just 1 minute. The Contivity client is version 4_60.51, on a WinXP SP1 PC with an ADSL broadband connection. If anyone has a solution, please share as its driving me nuts!!

Its strange as at work, I have an IBM pc, also WinXP SP1, with the same client and the same ID and its ok, just that the internet connection is 56k dialup (different ISP).

Thank you in advance.

I am using an IBM T22 laptop, running Windows 2000, the NORTEL 2.62.47 Extranet Client and with either Linksys router WRT54G or the Linksys BEFSR41. I can go out to the internet without a problem. If I try to connect to work via VPN, I am able to connect but after 10 to 15 seconds, I get dropped with the following mesasage:
"The routing table cannot be altered after the Extranet connection has been established".

I did a search on Nortel Networks' web site and found the following in their FAQs:
Title:How to correct Extranet Client error message: "The routing table cannot be altered after the Extranet connection has been established".

From the above FAQ:
Fix:
Windows 2000 supports dynamic changes to the routing table. The 2.62.47 Extranet Client does not support this because of security issues.
The error message can be caused by either:
1) A DHCP server reassigning an IP address for the PC or router.
2) The Windows 2000 client being part of a Dynamic DNS update, which changes the routing table on the PC.

Increase the DHCP lease time, or disable Dynamic DNS to alleviate the problem.

Does anyone know how and where do we do those recommeded changes? Do we try these changes on my linksys router or are they done on the the back end?

Having the same problem. I also would like to know how to "disable Dynamic DNS or increase the DHCP lease time," or anything else that will solve this problem.

I fixed it!!! Extranet Client error message: "The routing table cannot be altered after the Contivity VPN connection has been established". I'm using ver 4.60

I had 2 computers both setup the same using Windows 2000 SP3. Only one had the problem. I noticed when using the internet to get my mail (hotmail) or sending mail from my local internet provider I would recieve the error message. Even searching the web sometimes casues a problem. Both computers have automatic IP and DNS disabled. I made them static but that was not enough.

My solution:

I added the following in my registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

I added the line: PerformRouterDiscovery DWORD value 0

Then reboot.

I also noticed that just setting the EnableICMPRedirect DWORD to 0 Also works but I think that is over kill. I would only do this if the first solution does not work.

Good luck

I too was experiencing the same problem.
I have several W2K SP3 machines with Contivity VPN Client V04_15.06

I resolved the problem by stopping and disabling the RIP Listener service. Once stopped, the VPN connection remained open.

Hopefully this helps, it worked for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back