Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error: "Cannot update the company information"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenos2Geeks

IS-IT--Management
May 26, 2004
US
Error: "Cannot update the company information"
What does this mean? And what could someone have done to get this error?
This happens upon starting up Great Plains from Workstation 2 (Only 2 WS total)
Thanking you in Advance...

Sincerely,
In Hot Water! =:O

Hi there,

Need more information...?
Is this a new installation, has the error just occuring..?
etc etc...

GreatPains

This is not a new installation, however what I think happened is that their were mapped drives from WS1 to WS2 and then from WS2 to WS1. The mapped drives were turned off and since then lost connection between workstations.

The trouble has been in remapping the drives so both WS's have access to the DB. If indeed a mapped drive is even neccesary, rather than file sharing?

Does this help?

Thanks again! Been sitting on this for a while but now the second workstation will be of immediate need as it wasn't before! :D

Hello,

My name is Dan and I'm working on this as a solution with the previous poster.

The two computers are Windows 98 computers connected by a Linksys router. We would like them to share one database folder, but as stated above, they no longer have this capability.

I read in this FAQ []* to share the following folders, but I'd like some more detail on the specifics.

Can anyone give me more detail on the actual logon scripts needed for each PC? This isn't a program that I'm very familiar with to begin with.

Thank you. I appreciate it.

Dan

The FAQ states:

Can I use a Shared Application folder for Great Plains?

Once you have a client installed, you can copy the application dictionaries and DYNAMICS.SET file between workstations (as long as the install folder is the same).

The Runtime files *.exe, *.dll, *.tlb and Dex.dic can be copied between workstations.

Custom report and forms dictionaries can be shared, but I prefer to keep them local as well and copy them between workstations.

VBA code must be local to each application install and the *.VBA files can be copied only if all external references are the same for all machines. So if you use any DLLs place them in the same path (usually the application folder) for all workstations. Otherwise you will need to export and import packages.

My preferred configuration is to have everything local to each workstation and then use a login script to synchronise from a central Update area. If you want more info, let me know and I can send you the details of how to do this.

David Musgrave [MSFT]
Senior Development Consultant
MBS Services - Asia Pacific

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back