Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error opening Word 2000 in Windows 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

levers

IS-IT--Management
Jul 8, 2002
GB
Word 2000
Windows 98 clients

The error reads 'Winword caused an invalid page fault in module ms09.dll at xxxxx address'

I have tried renaming winword.exe to winword.old and mso9.dll to mso9.old and running office repair.

I have also uninstalled and reinstalled office 2000.

I have also renamed normal.dot.

I have also installed the latest service packs.

And I still get the same error.

The users can open previously saved documents only.

Any thoughts.....

Cheers.

First, please make sure there that more than one instance of normal.dot does not exist on the system.

This may sound silly, but do a cleanup of your system. Delete all files with tmp extension and all files with ~ as the leading character (that is search for *.tmp and ~*).

Still if you are experiencing problems go to start run and type

path...winword /n

where path would be something similar to
C:\Program Files\Microsoft.... etc.

Please notice the space between winword and the slash. If Word open using this, there is a problem with your normal.dot

Lastly, if all else fails, try deleting the following Registry Key. If not sure how to delete a registry key, look at MS article 252968 or visit

"Mind is like a parachute. Works well when opened."

Thanks xlhelp

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\winword.exe /a opens up Word fine but without a new document, when the user clicks on new document the same error appears.

I have got round this by creating a new shortcut pointing to C:\Program Files\Microsoft office\office\winword.exe /n which opens a new document but prompts for user details and displays the office assistant.

This is clearly a problem with normal.dot is there any way I can repairs normal.dot appart from renaming the file.

Cheers

Unless you have custom styles, you own autotext entries, custom toolbars or macros that are in Normal.dot, you can actually delete the file. Word will recreate it when you start it again.

Once again, make sure you have only one instance of normal.dot. To make sure, what you need to do is go to Windows Explorer. Under Tools, Folder Options, View. Make sure "Show hidden file and folders is selected" and "Hide file extensions of known file types" is deselected. Then do your search.

"Mind is like a parachute. Works well when opened."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back