Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error opening database in Access 2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcarrill

MIS
Apr 9, 2003
US
Please forgive me if I am posting in the wrong place or asking the wrong question.

A database created in Access 97 using VB works fine when opened with Access 97. When trying to post to the database using Access 2000 an error is generated. The error is different on different machines. I get a run-time error: "DTpicker returned the error: Property is read only". From other computers running Access 2000 I get a different error. From other computers running Access 97 I get no error and have no problems. Other users have the same experience.

Thanks for any help.

When the people using Access 2000 open the database, do they get the prompt that it must be converted before use? I had to compile my database again in 97 after someone opened it in 2000 even though they canceled out of the conversion screen.

When opening the database in Access 2000 I do not get the prompt to convert the database.

hmm...wonder if that is what is causing the problem. We went up to 2000 at home but since I create all of my databases in 97, I had to uninstall 2000, because the two do not play nice together. If I opened one created in 97 into 2000, it would prompt me to convert or not to convert. If you convert, it can be used as normal but cannot be used by 97 anymore. If you do not convert, it will open, but fields are locked...

I aggree with CMooreJr

Access 97 and Access 2000 do not play nice.

I would suggest you leave your backend in Access 97

For your frontend, do all your work in access 97.
When you have a final, good front end, use access 2000 to make a 2000 only frontend version from the Access 97 mdb.

Now your access 97 users will run the 97 version
Your Access 2000 users will run the 2000 version.

If you need to change the program, you can change only the Access 97 version, then convert to 2000 at the end.

Note: This assumes that you have a Frontend program mdb and a separate Backend mdb for your data. If not, shame on you.

Hope This Helps,
Hap [2thumbsup] Access Add-on developer [pc] - [americanflag]

The database does have a front end and back end mdb. I have already tried to convert the front end but I get an error saying that it was unable to compile.

Well, you need to get a clean compile.
When the area of the program, that won't compile, get's run it will fail, because it can't compile.

Why won't it compile?
What error do you get?

Note:
In your Access 97 version, open code window and see what references are checked.
Then in the Access 2000 version, see if the same references are also checked.

Hap Access Add-on developer [pc] - [americanflag]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back