Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error: No response from transaction server

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITsmyfault

IS-IT--Management
Oct 24, 2002
US
Hi Folks:

ZFD4 no sp
NW 5.1 SP5
Workstations: older HP Vectras (VL400 & 600) and Compaq Evo4000's.
WS Nics: Intel Pro 100 S
Switches: Nortel 450-24T's, latest firmware & software

I get spotty connections to the transaction server at best. Most of the time I just get 2 to 4 of these error messages on the screen and then PXE exits. I do have a couple machines that run perfectly though.

1. The PC's that can't connect are plugged right into my Nortels. The PC's that appear ok are plugged into an old 3com superstack II switch that is then plugged into our nortels.. I have managed to take an image off of one of them, and I plugged in a box that had errors connected to the nortel and now works fine plugged into the 3com. It does not appear to be a STP issue as the boxes always get their DHCP address, GW & Trans Server IP just fine and it's my understanding that the issue with STP is the delay when the nic first comes up and STP runs it's algorithm before allowing the port to pass packets. This then does not appear to be the issue. Is there something else the switch could mangle? I have no ACL's, VLAN's or anything fancy on the switch.. it's just a basic core-->access layer setup with GB fiber links between layers; nothing is more than 1 hop from the core (except the aforementioned boxes under my desk that hit the 3com first.. I have too much stuff under my desk ok? ;) Everything is on the same lan segment.. no routers, helper addresses etc. It should be a walk in the park...

2. I have updated TFTP.NLM to ver 2.06 and PDHCP.NLM to version 2.11 It made no difference I can see. All functions reside on one 5.1 server. I was able to set up option 60 in DHCP despite being on NW5.1 DHCP. That was interesting. You use the hex editor in C1 to add the feature. (there is a TID on it)

3. Have tried PXE on disk and it gets the same result fwiw.

I'm going to set up sniffers to see what is happening/not happening.

Anyone have a clue about what the issue could be?

Thx - Joe

just an FYI

Problem turned out to be that our HP servers use dual nics that are load balanced. This broke PXE in a big way, I suspect bc it's not working at IP level and having 2 different MAC's sending it packets (and randomly at that) was more than it could handle. I pulled out one cat5 on the server and everything started working. How about that..

Once we got past that it was pretty smooth sailing. With the inclusion of a linux flag in the settings.txt file which lets linux image the first dma channel device (disabled by default) I have been imaging machines in just over 13 minutes, (13min 2 sec to be exact!) This is with an image file of 1.24GB.
I'm pretty happy about how it's working. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back