Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error: Network path not found 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianHamel

IS-IT--Management
Oct 31, 2002
US
I just performed a Windows Update to my two Windows 2000
Servers. Everything seemed to go smoothly except when I
go to My Network Places and click on Computers Near Me it
says the workgroup is inaccessable and the network path is
not found. These servers are simply part of the workgroup
and we are not running a domain. If I go to another
computer on the system and do the same thing, the servers
do not show up on Computers near me but they used to.

Apparently, the maps to these servers and drives work fine
because the servers shared drives can still be accessed
but not unless they are specifically mapped.

Anyone have any idea what to do go fix this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Im just thinking what i would do here dude:
Can you ping either of the servers from each other?
Are they both on the same subnet?
Is there any kind of packet filtering or firewalls running?
Do you use IPsec?

Thats all i can think of, but look into those options and make sure that they are either properley configured or running properley. Keep it real!

It sounds as if the servers are no longer being seen as 'file/print servers', due to the shares no longer being available.

Assuming that both the servers have been cold booted since the upgrade occured, I would remove a share reboot and re-apply it.

There appears to be no good reason for this happening, but I've come across it too many times to mention.

HTH

Pete H

I only update Server stuff on Saturdays.. gives me time to perform damage control if needed.

Here's what I would look at.

1)Is netbios propagating 10 minute intervals or longer?
2)Is Wins setup properly? (if using it..) Wins is tempromental.. and was a problem I had on a 3 server/50 computer network that was getting exactly what your talking about. Our File Server would drop out of sight, not loosing the connections or ability to login, just the listing of it in Network Places.
3) Is the Share ok? In Network Places.. can you type in.. \\server1\C$ and see the C:\ folder?

Hope this helps..

Brian

I have tried several of the things you guys suggested:
- the servers have been rebooted
- i set up another share
- the servers are on the same subnet
- the servers can ping eachother
- the servers can map shares to eachother
- wins is set up properly
- i have a firewall running but it's only for external stuff

I do not know about this netbios interval you are talking about but will look into it.

One other thing I have noticed is that on our network, some computers show up in network neighborhood and others dont and the ones that show up all depend on what computer you are looking from. For instance, i can see 10 computers from my laptop running win2k but from another computer running 98 i can see like 20 computers. Could these phenomena be related to the whole problem? It seems like a browsing issue to me.

How about what brainy426, in windows exploder bar, can you type \\servername\folder? I've seen this many times. Pc's are stupid. Sometimes they just forget. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"What really happens is trivial in comparison to what could occur."
Robert von Musil (1880-1942); Austrian author.

Hey BrianHamel
Do you remember which windows updates you applied? I seem to have started having a similar problem after a windows update but i dont remember which since they are coming out nearly every day.

I am started have the same problem within the last 2 weeks. I have a small home network of 2 Servers and 3 workstations. My domain controller has no other computers listed under My Network Places but i can get to the workstations through \\computername\C. Normally the MY Network PLaces would catch up but it has not and now I cant connnect to my server in computer management from the workstations. All the computers are on the same subnet and are recieving DHCP leases but I cant get to the server from the workstations. Have been doing research but cant find any solutions.

check if you have any policies applying under GPO to prevent Computers Near Me to show up

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Explorer
A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

\\servername\folder worked? Thanks. Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"What really happens is trivial in comparison to what could occur."
Robert von Musil (1880-1942); Austrian author.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back