Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

error msg encountered when running netvault gui

Status
Not open for further replies.

cscw88

MIS
Nov 6, 2003
SG
hi

My snap nas server is connect directly to a tape drv and I'm using netvault to manage the snap svr to backup data directly from snap to tape drv via scsi card.

However, I encountered "invalid argument" or "communication error" error msg when trying to run the netvault gui on every windows based workstation(all gui installed on win based station). I can ping successfully to and fro from the client/server. I also have the snap netvault name listed on the 1st name under the [servers] tag.

I also wish to know how to do a reinstall of netvault server in the snap nas server.

Anyone can help? Thks.

Any

you need to edit your gui.cfg file. If you are using a newer version of the Snap Os, look for the button called Add Clients on the Netvault Page. If you do not have that version, then edit the gui.cfg file. You MUST use WORDPAD to edit the file. If you use notepad, the extension will get changed to a .txt file and that will not work. The extension must be.cfg. It is in the local computer\Program Files\BakBone Software\Netvault\config\gui.cfg

Look at the last line that says
names=<Put server name here>

change that to be
names=SnapServerName

if your Snap Server is Snap401522 then
names=snap401522

Save the file and click on the gui. that will fix your problem.

hi

Thks for the respond.

But I have already done that by typing my snap svr name at the last line of the gui.cfg file ( have checked the ext is .cfg)but it still give me "communications error"?

how to check if the netvault server still running in the snap server? I still telnet 20031 from the workstation to the snap netvault server but cannot connect.

Is there a log in the snap netvault server that I can ssh into and check?

Pls help. Thks.

Try disabling netvault and re-enabling using the Snap Server webui.

You can also ssh into the snap server and type the command "tpa nv status"

Also, make sure that the gui.cfg extension is still.cfg and not .txt. If you used notepad, .txt gets appended.

Telnet is not available on the Snap Server.

Hi

Thks for reply.

When I ssh in snap server and type "tpa nv status". The result is:

'NV' status: 'distribution exists' 'installed' 'enabled' 'not running'

How to run it? Can I use "/etc/init.d/snap_netvault restart" command to start the service? it says "
Failed to initialize!" when I use this command to start the service. What is the service name? I can't see from "ps -aux" command.

btw, my snap netvault svr is installed in the same local lan with my workstation.

Thks for helping.

hi

btw, need to ask some concept abt this netvault s/w.

When I installed it in a workstation. The manual ask me to choose server at the server/client option and also key in a machine name during the installation.

Why it is choose as a server at the workstation end during the installation? what is the meaning of server/client in here. The machine name is put as workstation computer name as default when it is installed. Should I key in same or different "machine name" when installed on other workstation in the lan?

and what the purpose of the password key in during the installation of netvault gui?

Pls help. Thks.

Actually the best choice is to install client. The Snap Server documentation has been upgraded.

Not sure why netvault is not running, but this should start it for you.

type "tpa nv ctl start"

The password for the installation is for security of all clients and servers. To be able to backup another node, you have to know the password. If you leave it blank, it defaults to the administrators password, so I would make sure to install with a password.

Which version of the Snap Server OS do you have.
1: Login to the webui.

2: In top left corner is the Snap Server symbol, click on it and the about box will appear.

3: What is the Software Version Number?

If the software vesion number is 3.2, then on the Netvault page there will be a button that says add client. Click on that button and add your windows workstation ip or dns resolvable name. This will create a relationship between the windows workstation client and the Snap Server. You will not have to edit any files. The next time you start nvgui, you will be redirected to the Snap Server and you will log directly into it.

>---------------------------------------

If the "tpa nv ctl start" does not work try this, "tpa nv ctl uninstall" then from the Snap Server webui, re-enable netvault. It will re-install. You will have to re-add the client if you use the add-client button again.

hi

Thks very much for reply and help. I did a reinstall and the nv server status become running again.

However, I still getting "invalid argument" error in some (not all) nv gui pc. perhap my understand of this nv concept is still not clear enough.

So what abt the concept of "machine name" (this term is used during installation)? I still don't understand the concept of this term. What's the different between "machine name"(I also notice this term also appeared at the bottom of the config\configure.cfg file), "server" and "client" in this case?

Can help/explained? Thks very much.

You do not need to run nvgui on all of your workstations. Only 1 workstation needs to run nvgui. You login to the Snap Server remotely using the nvgui. Once you are logged in you control the Snap Servers as an independant Netvault Domain. From there you can add clients to backup or backup the Snap Server itself.

You configure the Snap Servers tape devices and any other configuration you choose then you can backup / restore data.

The machine name is the client name. There is not any need to edit the configure.cfg file. You can use the "configurator" to edit all of those settings. You can either start the configurator by itself, or once logged into the Snap Server if you go to the Client Management Screen, any client on the left column that you have access to, if you right click you will have the configure option which will run the configurator on the remote client.

What is very important is that you do not use notepad b/c .txt extension gets appended to the file name. If you change the extension, then the file is not parsed correctly and bad things will happen.

A Server has more functionality than the client. The client is the best choice for most cases. The Server has unnecessary services running.

Hi clonny2

Thanks very much for ur valauable help. I hav understand and solve my problem.

Great. Glad to help. BTW, if you don't know, for exceptional help you can give someone a "star" thanking them for helping. It will be at the bottom of your last post. :)

If you have any more Netvault questions with Snap Servers, you know where to find me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back