Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error message

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lewy

Technical User
Nov 16, 2001
GB
I have just reinstalled Paradox after a complete hard drive fail. I have managed to restore the data (thank goodness)but when closing Paradox I get the following error messages:

PDX_EN_Full_SBAR.cfg could not be opened followed by

Statusbar configuration file could not be opened.

Should I be worried? What can I do to stop the little pesk?

Thanks,

Lewy

Normally, the status/toolbar files are recreated by Paradox when they go missing.

I'd look for and delete any that are there.

The worrisome thing is that they evidently can't be access (recreated) at the location indicated in the Registry.

This is usually a 'rights' issue.

Did you install Paradox as a user? ALWAYS install as Administrator.

You may need to edit the registry by hand, or find the entry and make sure everyone has FULL rights to the location where the toolbars are set to be created/edited at.

Tony McGuire
"It's not about having enough time. It's about priorities.

It has been suggested that this could be a case where the user(s) has (have) insufficient rights to the BDE and/or Paradox program directory(ies). Which is what I was getting at.

Give the current user explicit FULL rights to the BDE and Paradox directories and see if that fixes this.

Tony McGuire

Many thanks Tony,

Down to the fact that the file attributes were set to hidden and read only. Seems fine now. Also have learnt a valuable lesson this time...do daily backups!

Lewy

Hidden, not out of the realm of normal.

Read-only? That's a weird one. Did you copy to, then from, a CD by chance?

Tony McGuire

Tony,

not quite, managed to recover some of the files from a dead hard drive, then transferred via usb stick.

Lewy

When copying to a CD, then back, you often wind up with readonly files. ZIPping cures this.

Never heard of the same with a USB stick. But then you said 'data files', not program files.

However, you may have run into something like this, since the toolbar files are stored in at least a couple of places.

Tony McGuire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back