Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error Message: You are not authorized to view this page

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrenae

Programmer
Jan 18, 2006
US
One of my users is getting this message when running a page that is executing a query that takes a very long time. I know he is authorizied, otherwise he wouldn't be able to get into the site at all. I feel that while he's waiting for the page to be returned (waiting on the database), somehow his network connection is being lost, causing the error (but I can't verify that). Has anyone experienced this before? We are using integrated windows authentication. Thanks for any help.

"You are not authorized to view this page

You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button to try again with different credentials.
If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please contact the Web site administrator by using the e-mail address or phone number listed on the ecims.newenergy.com home page.
HTTP 401.1 - Unauthorized: Logon Failed
Internet Information Services"

Go to your web content directory (C:\Inetpub\ and make sure either your group or user has access. I believe permission you'll only need "read" but if it doesnt work give yourself "full control". If your not an admin on the computer that houses your web content than you cant change anything or modify permissions. hope this helps.

snappy2873,

I am not an admin on the machine so I can't even log onto the production machine. I work for a big corp so the production machines are locked down.

If the user or group doesn't have access to the web content directory, I don't think that he would be able to access any pages in the site. He can navigate thru the site just fine. It's just when he's accessing one page, which is long running query, that it seems to "drop" his windows connection.

Thanks snappy2873.

jrenae,

Just to verify that it really isn't a 401, remove the code that takes the time, and ask the user to run again - if it still gives the error then it is something else that really is causing the 401, and not the query.

If this resolves it, then you might want to set the timeout for the page to be a little higher, and use response.flush if you're iterating through the output, just to let the browser know the server is still there.

If it doesn't and it is just for this one user, then check any upstream proxies in that users LAN or network path to the webserver. You might also want to check it is not related to his specific machine, or even dodgy Active directory/network set-up.

If none of that works, and the page works for some people, but not others, then it may be worth checking the IIS logs to see if it correllates with the response status code received by the browser and look into the authentication methods you're using, as well as get the help of one of your network admins.

hope that helps to give you some ideas

A smile is worth a thousand kind words. So smile, it's easy! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back