Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error message: Windows could not load the installer for Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrafts

Technical User
Jan 18, 2003
US
Greetings. My daughter's computer is a Compaq 5330US with a P4, plenty of memory, XP Pro SP2 and all updates installed. Her original Compaq monitor was starting to experience symptoms of old age, so I installed a used Dell M781s monitor. The picture quality is superb. The only problem is an error message which appears every time the machine is first turned on: "Windows could not load the installer for Monitor. Contact your hardware vendor for assistance". Click OK and the message goes away and life is good. I am mystified because I was unable to find information about this error on the Dell website or the Microsoft website. I do not have an installation CD with this used monitor, but Windows didn't seem to have any trouble identifying it. Obviously this is not an urgent problem, but I would love to find out the cause and the cure.

Do you have a check box in this location - Display Properties/ Settings/ Advanced/ Monitor, "Automatically detect Plug and Play monitors"?

Either check or Uncheck this box (you may not have any such option).

Specifies whether Windows should automatically detect whether your monitor is Plug and Play compatible and use the appropriate software for it.
Some display adapters cause the screen to flash while the monitor is being detected. If this happens, you may want to clear this check box.

In Safe Mode, have a look at Monitors in the Device Manager and see what is listed there.

Some Google links here but not too much help to be found.

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

Thanks Linney. I looked in:
Control Panel -> Display -> Settings -> Advanced -> Monitor
but there was nothing to be found regarding detection of plug and play monitors. I have done a virus scan and a Spybot spyware scan and the computer comes up clean. I will have a look at some of the other info you sent.
Steve

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with the Monitor.

Try Safe Mode (Do you have this problem in Safe Mode?).

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

I had no luck with safe mode or scannow. I ended up re-installing XP, which solved the problem. I am assuming that something was left behind when I disconnected the old monitor and this is what caused the nagging error message. With the fresh install, the new monitor was recognized and there were no more messages. As always, thanks for all of the suggestions. I checked them all out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back