Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error message when scanning C drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamieNC

MIS
Jun 12, 2002
GB
Hi,

Our users all have McAfee VirusScan set up to scan the C drive on startup. Over the last few days a number of them have reported the following error message appearing when McAfee attempts to run the scan:

The item < > to scan is not valid. Please make sure that you have spelled the item correctly.

The scan then fails.

I wondered if it might have something to do with the users in question having the latest Virus Definition files: 4.0.4303 created on 12 November 2003. The problem did not occur before the 12th.

Does anybody know how to rectify this problem?

Many thanks for any advice you can offer,

Jamie

Hey Jamie

The problem is that McAfee has lost its config as to what to scan. If you go into the scheduler and look at thhe configuration for the job that's failing (on my network it's the noon scan All Fixed Disks daily job) you'll see that there's nothihng in the Item to Scan field. Just add it again.

I actually came to this forum looking for an extended fix to this issue, ie I have certain users who drop this config on a regular basis, and I cannot figure out why. I can re-add it in, and it stays for 3-4 days, but on certain users it keeps dropping.

Anyone have further ideas?

--Sandar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back