Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error Message When Exporting SNP files - No Disk Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

charliec

IS-IT--Management
Aug 28, 2001
US
When I run a report, then try to export the report into a snapshot (SNP) file, I get an error message that states: The report snapshot was not created because you don't have enough free disk space for temporary work files." However, when I clean out my recycle bin, I still get the message. Also, when I delete the file name and call it something simple like A.snp - the file DOES export and save.

How do I correct this? Is there some way to increase temporary file sizes in Access?

Thanks.

Hi Charlie,

Since no one has answered this one I'll take a stab at it.

I'm a CAD Jockey by trade and when we set up a machine, we always set the OS's swap file size to equal 3 times the amount of RAM installed on the machine. So if your machine has 1G of ram (1024MB), your swap file size needs to be set at 3G (or 3072MB). CAD systems take up a huge amount of memory and I'm discovering so does Access. Once this things run out of virtual memory and need to go to the hard drive and start swapping, ugly things begin to happen. I've used the Snapshot format a lot and have yet to run into the trouble you're decribing - but it sounds very similiar to a lot of the strange errors we get running CAD systems with tight memory (or machines not set up properly). To help minimize disk fragmentation, you set the intial size (of your swap file) to the maximum size, this way, the swap file doesn't need to grow, it's footprint is written just once.

Sorry if that's no help,
Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back