Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ERROR MESSAGE WHEN BOOTING UP

Status
Not open for further replies.

CST

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2000
GB
When booting up the following error message appears.<br><br>C:\WINDOWS\KAK\.REG&nbsp;&nbsp;Error opnening file. There maybe a disk or file system error.<br><br>I have tried several things but am at a loss, please help!!

does it continue to boot after the error message, or does it freeze? <p> fenris<br><a href=mailto:fenris@hotmail.com>fenris@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Thanks fenris<br><br>The computer does continue to boot but sometimes it will hang, I think this is because of the error message

This happens when you install and then uninstall a program manually. You remove the directory but the shortcuts and other pointers still remain in the system startup files. <br>Check your startup files to find out where the problem is: If it's in autoexec.bat or config.sys just REM the line, if it's in the startup folder in Windows, just remove it. This should fix it.

Have since found out that this is a virus, thanks for advice anyway.

I just looked at this post and I was wondering why it took so long for someone to realize that KAK is a virus. Just a though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back