Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error Message Trying To Open Defrag

Status
Not open for further replies.

muskybob

Technical User
Sep 5, 2004
US
I'm trying to open my defrag program out of the "System Tools" folder in XP Pro. I am unable to access the program and keep getting the error message: MMC cannot open the file C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\dfrg.exe.msc". Can someone advise me how to fix this so I can run my defrag program? Thanks, Bob

Have you tried opening the program from Safe Mode (press F8 during boot) or another user profile?

Tony

Users helping Users...

Thanks a lot wahnula. I was able to run the defrag program from safe mode. But when I go back to normal mode I can't access the program any more.

Also on the errow message is "This may be because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was created by a later version of MMC. This may also be because you do not have access rights to the file." I seem to think it is the latter reason, but I was always able to access the file before. I am the only one that uses this computer as administrator, but there is also a guest account that noone uses. Is there a way I can permit all users to have access to all programs? Thanks a lot for your help Tony. Bob

change the target path, it should be %SystemRoot%\system32\dfrg.msc and not .exe.msc

I'm sorry Lemon13, I don't know how to do that. Is there some way I can change the folder options to allow access to all users? Thanks.

To change your target path goto "Start" "All Programs" "Accessories" "System tools" Right click on "Defrag" Click "Properties". You can change the target path here.

Sorry folks, that is the path that's on there now and I still can't access the program unless I'm in safe mode. Any more suggestions I can try? Much appreciated the replies.

muskybob,

One thing I have learned over the years is to choose my battles with my gear. While this may be a real pain to you, in the real world HDD defragging is not something we need to use everyday. If you want to try running it from the command line or schedule it through Task Scheduler read this article, it may be of some help.

Otherwise, you can post in forum779 or just run it occasionally from command line or Safe Mode and just don't worry about it. That would be my advice.

Tony

Users helping Users...

hotkeys,
It looks like iobit's site is down right now... at least that's what I got, 'course I'm at work, and it seems pages to mysteriously show that way here but not at home..

But Google Cache did have a listing for it:

I might try to take a look at that at home. I'll see what features and all it offers. I thought about trying Defraggler, but to me it looks like it does the same thing as the built-in Windows defrag, but perhaps faster.
------------------------------------------------------

muskybob,
A couple other things you can try as well to see if there are other issues that this just a symptom of:
[ol][li]Run a ScanDisk check[/li]
[li]Scan for viruses/malware[/li]
[/ol]

Post back with questions if you're not sure of what I'm talking about.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back