Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error message... Status.dat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curtis59

Vendor
Aug 21, 2006
US
OK, another question today... This one is on verion 2006..Premium accounting for distribution. We have this program loaded on our server.. To hook up we go through Remote desktop connection... Yesterday it started an error... "Cannot open file....... Status.dat" Same message from every station and when trying to open on the server itself. Running "windows server 2003" First..... What is the cause of this?? And second... I did not load this to the server.. but is this done correctly? It seems to me that it is not loaded as a networked program.... And if I do a reinstall to correct things will my existing data be saved? Sorry for what may be simple questions... but I am VERY new to Peachtree. With my last dealings with Peachtree it was in DOS version :)

Well, Im not surprised to see no post on this.... After finally getting thru to Peachtree the techs had me reinstall... Problem is now the program won't even run! As a stand alone non networked program Peachtree might be OK... But so far my experiences with Peachtree and Sages ACT program have produced nothing but problems!

You have to be very carefull with paths on a network. Normally I install Peachtree locally on each machine with the data on a second machine that often doesn't even have Peachtree on it.

The data is usually in a subdirectory of the company directory.

Backups are esential as if a file becomes corupt it is usually gone for good. Can't open often means that. It can also be due to an Windows attribute like readonly or directory rights. Your case sounds like corruption. This is a shared problem with all low ends, (Quickbooks, DAC, Peachtree, etc.). Some of the higher ends like SBT or Cougar Mountain do allow table fixes, but you get what you pay for.

Bill Couture
SBTBILL.COM

The repair link above is to a company that does generic Btrieve data repairs. Although they list Peachtree among the applications they can work with, it might be better to have your Peachtree data repaired by a company that specializes specifically in repairing Peachtree data. If you do a Google search for "Peachtree Data Repair" you will find several Peachtree-specific companies listed.

Spoken like a true competitor! Peachtree files are Pervasive Btrieve files. I've worked with Btrieve files since 1991 and have written several utilities over the years. Yesterday I repaired 3 corrupt files for a Peachtree user and he is happy all is working great all in less than an hour while I was on vacation no less!

Gil Nelson
Nelson Software Solutions

Hasve to agree with Bob that experience is important. Accounting software is a complex group of tables that have to be keep in balance. Fixing one might break another because a relationship gets damaged. Many of the peachtree issues I've seen deal with a piece of data that will not validate because it isn't in the validation table even though it is fine in the source table. That is true of all accounting software.

Bill Couture
SBTBILL.com

Yes, Peachtree files are Btrieve files and sometimes simply repairing the files is all that is required.

However, sometimes the records cannot be completely recovered from a damaged file and in that case intimate knowledge of the Peachtree data will allow the missing records to be reconstructed by carefully examining the data in other files.

Also sometimes there is no physical damage to the files, but there are problems with the data that cannot be corrected from the Peachtree application. Here also intimate knowledge of the Peachtree data is necessary to understand the nature of the problem and correct it.

The good thing about the repair service that Nelson Software Solutions provides is that it is significantly less expensive than repair services that are specific to Peachtree data. If Nelson solves your problem, great. However, if it doesn't, don't give up - check out the Peachtree specific services you'll find on the web.

The most important point if you have damaged Peachtree data is DO NOT do what Peachtree support commonly tells you - to reindex files without making a backup. That will correct physical damage but most likely will result in loss of data that cannot be recovered.

Most repair services will not charge you to look at your data to see if it has a problem, so take advantage of this and have a professional, be it Nelson or some other company, check your data out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back