Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ERROR MESSAGE RUNNING CLARION V2.1 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

colinst

IS-IT--Management
Sep 17, 2001
GB
I'm trying to run reports using Clarion v2.1.
The progam and data are located on a Novell 3.20 server, the workstation is using windows 98.
The problem: every time a report is activated when others are sharing the data, I crash out with the dos error :5.
The other workstations (W95) do not have this problem - and all settings appear to be similar. Any ideas out there?

Colin

I suspect it may be related to file Shares.

I used to program Clarion 2.0 for DOS and found it necessary to add SHARE.EXE to the autoexec.bat file
ie. SHARE.EXE /L:20 /F:8192

I'm not sure of the syntax but it was similar to above.
Windows needs a file handle for each key file, and the
default file size (/F:4096) was too small for a large dataset with many files and keys.

You may have to hunt around to find a copy of SHARE.exe as I don't think it is shipped with Windows98.

We have Version 3 of this ODBC driver and it doesn't work real well. I was wondering if you might know where I might find a version 2 TopSpeed ODBC driver. SoftVelocity doesn't seem to be able to help.

I am confused by your last post. There no ODBC driver for Clarion 2.1x DAT files so you statement is misleading. As to the issue you identify in your first post it sounds like a network stack issue. Compare the stacks installed on the correctly working w95 stations. The problem you identify sounds like an incompatibility between the client OS and the files server OS, not a Clarion one.

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back