Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error Message - REGENV32.EXE 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

xexth

IS-IT--Management
Jul 25, 2001
CA
My windows Me computer keeps giving me an error message -- regenv32.exe has caused a page fault in regenv32.exe. What I would like to find out is what regenv32.exe does. This will allow me to track down this error. I have tried replacing the file but the message and error persist. Went to Microsoft's site and did a search on the file but turned up nothing. Would greatly appreciate any help - my thanks in advance.

xexth

..."regenv32.exe -c4 runs every time that Msconfig.exe runs or when Windows is shut down."...
The 4 in "-c4" means RECONCILE the registry environment with the environment variables set in the Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files. After you validate your current copy of regenv32.exe we can look at your environment settings and Autoexec.bat file. WindowsMe does not parse either since they are created from the saved registry file if deleted.

Did you happen to install the DOS "patch" to WindowsME..This patch alters the regenv32 and io.sys files.

If NOT

Then you can try extracting a fresh copy from c:\Windows\Options\Install or C:\Windows\Options\Cabs
Start•Run•Type msconfig,OK•Extract File•regenv32.exe•Start•Restore from: C:\Windows\Options\Install•Save file in: C:\Windows\System•OK ... file restored..(You may get a message in between prompting for saving original to Msconfig\Backup..answer yes and yes to create folder). Reboot and see if you still get message.

If still NO joy

Start•Run•Type msconfig,OK•Environment Tab...Post contents

Typically:

[x] PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND
[x] PROMPT $p$g
[x] TEMP C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
[x] TMP C:\WINDOWS\TEMP

Also:
What's in your Autoexec.bat file?...Post contents

If you can, download and run StartUp Log from Its very small, quick and you can find out what may be causing your problem. Perhaps you will see the problem before you have to repost. smitee

Thanks Smitty! Replaced file from CD - file in restore must have been corrupted. This worked just fine. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back