Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error message, "Operation can not be continued"

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoeythecat

Technical User
May 2, 2002
US
Hi,

Sorry for the poor subject name, was not sure how to subject this. I have BackupExec8.6 that I use in my environment and I encountered the following situation. When I opened up the Backupexec program a message, "Please insert overwritable media into the drive". Basically, during a full system backup the tape unloaded with the above message. The log shows that the backup just about completed but towards the end of the backup I get this message, "The media provided to continue the backup already contains data from one or more sets created during this operation. The operation can not be continued". I had to cancel the backup job. I know most of the files got backed up but the backup canceled while backing up the last directory which is our "Users" folder.

Can anyone lead me in the right direction into what exactly this message means and if you know of any helpful articles related to this topic?

Thanks in advance,
Zoe

Hi,
I have the same problem, except it started with Backup exec 7.2. I called Veritas and was told to upgrade. I did and still have the same problem. I called them back and was told they only give support for those who pay, even though I had just bought an upgrade, which does me no good for backups. I hope someone can shed some light on this.

Oscar1,

I found out in my situation:

(1) We use 35GIG tape drive. The full and differential
backup job used 1 tape. The job was reaching 35GIG
on the TAPE. So the tape was running out of space.
(2) We had to split up the backup job so that I used
2 tapes. 1 tape for the full backup and 1 tape
for the differential. Now the full backup goes
to 31GIG so I don't run out of space.

So you should first check to see if the tape is running out of space. Let me know how you make out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back