Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error message in query-based form

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechieJr

Instructor
Nov 13, 2002
CA
Hi All,

Pardon me if I have posted this in the wrong forum, but from my chair it was 50-50, this one or Queries.

In my db, two of my forms are based on the same query, but calling up slightly different fields and displaying them in different layouts. The db is replicated and the users use the replica. Occasionally both forms give the following error: "Query must have at least one destination field."

The message usually, but not always, appears after a syncronization with the design master. Neither does it occur after every sync. I can go for 8, 10, 15 syncs without a problem, then it will hit every or every other sync for 3 or four times.

The only way I have been able to clear the problem is to blow away the replica and create a new one. I have tried compact and repairs, closing the db and reopening, etc. etc. It does not happen on the design master.

I have not been able to identify a pattern and it does not follow any particular user or machine.

Anyone have any thoughts as how to clear this up for good?

Thanks,
TechieJr.

Are all objects (forms, queries, etc.) being replicated or just the data tables?

Hi MoLaker,

The entire db is being replicated. (I'm trying to convince my manager to go with a split db, but he's not yet convinced it would be better. At the same time, I have to figure out how to "unreplicate" a replicated db, then split it so I'm ready when he is.)

TechieJr.

Boy! I'm afraid I haven't a clue. Is the query a straight-forward select query or is it a crosstab query?

As for splitting the DB or not, do all users have access to a common network directory? If so, then replication is unnecessary and a high-maintainence way of giving all users access to the same data (as you are experiencing).

If a split DB is an option, you would be money and time ahead to try to convince your boss to go that way and forget replication.

One of the easiest ways to revert back from replication is to create a new empty DB and import all the design master's objects into it.

The query is straight forward; simple data extraction with a bit of sorting (no filtering) for display in a form.

Yes, all users have access to a shared folder on a server. That is where my replica resides and I would place the backend there when I split my db.

Thanks for your interest MoLaker. If anyone else has a thought they'd like to share with me I'd be happy to hear it.

Techie Jr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back