Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error Message in Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLK1983UK

Technical User
Apr 17, 2007
GB
Hi

I have a user that is experiencing issues with his outlook.

on opening his outlook he gets:

'The data file Personal Folders' was not closed properly' the file is being checked for problems'

It takes approx 10- 15 mins to do the check every day

He does check that outlook has closed down properly every evening (task manager) and it does

he is using Windows 2000 SP4 With Office XP Small Business

any idea's ?
thanks
Ria

Not experienced that error myself (we use Exchange server storage not Personal Folders). But it sounds like it might be some kind of corruption in the Personal Folder file structure. Is it worth exporting the Outlook data into a new Personal Folder?

Make sure you have a backup first in case things go wrong (accessing a corrupt part of the file could make it worse).

I have already done this, i created a new personal folder and imported the emails back in

he also had a PC upgrade and the issues has carried across.

We have also deleted out all rules to see if they were corrupt ...

Sorry, that was my one and only pearl of wisdom on this question. Good luck, I hope someone else comes up with a brighter idea than mine. ;-)

i have created another seperate .pst and changed the delivering option to that one, i have left the old one in place and so far so good.

thanks
All

How big is the .pst that is causing problems?

What you describe often happens as a pst file reaches 2 gig.

You may want to scan the PST manually. This should be included in windows. the scanpst program should be located in the following folder:

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\NT\SCANPST.EXE"

As mentioned previously, I've gotten these messages when the file has reached the 2GB limit. It usually happens when the file size is around 1.8-1.9 and the user keeps trying to dump emails into it. There's no work around. They just need to create a new PST file.

its under 1Gb

but so far so good with the new and old pst files working along side each other...

thanks
Ria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back