Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error message: Field will not fit in record 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheStateRuled

Technical User
Dec 17, 2003
US
I'm trying to export an Access 2000 table (30 fields by 30,000 records) to dBase IV format. I receive the error message "Field will not fit in record".

I have checked to make sure that no field names begin with numbers, and that no field names will be identical if the dBase format truncates them down. Still, I cannot figure out why this table won't export, nor can I pinpoint which field is causing the problem. I can export the table to other formats(ie: text), but not to dBase.

Anyone know what the problem might be? Thanks. BRH

Does the dBase IV file format have a record length that you might be exceeding? That's what I get from error, 'Field won't fit in record' = a record was being written out field by field, and at somepoint, a record length restriction came up, and the next field wouldn't fit...

Just out of curiosity, what is your approximate Rec length?

JMH

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving probably isn't for you!
Another free Access forum:
More Access stuff at

Thanks to WildHare for suggesting I check my record length. A query I was running, that combined fields from two tables, was setting all my text fields to 255 characters in length. Truncating them to their appropriate sizes allowed the table to export correctly.

Thanks again,

TSR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back