Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error message during VB application installation.] 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tatochka

Programmer
May 3, 2001
US
When installing VB application (VB6) in Windows 95 I get the following message:

"An error occured trying to update the Windows registration database." on a few dll files, dao360.dll for example. I continue installation and test application after it and so far didn't find a problem. Any idea what these messages can mean? For some reason I don't get this error on all Windows95 machines, just on some.

The solution might be Internet Explorer. :) or any other program.

When you install internet explorer it updates many .dll's on your computer.

See if the computer that are working have never version.

A good idea whuld be upgrading to win98 or xp If your looking for something and you can't find what your looking for, try searching where you think you won't find what your looking for.

tatochka,

Try exporting the SharedDLLs key from the registry, then delete it:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs

Now try the install, increment the DLL count in the file you exported and re-import it back in. I believe there was a size limitation in that key in Win95 when install Visual Basic or Visual Studio.

reghakr

Reghakr,

I did what you sad. I exported SharedDlls, deleted it from the registry and installed the application again. This time I didn't have any error messages. So, it did help. Now I have to import the file back with incremented dll counts and the problem is - I don't understand how should I increment the dll count?! Give me some hint please.

tatochka,

BEFORE you import the file back in, open the registry to that key and look at the DLLs that were added to the key. Then modify the exported file in Notepad, raising the number by 1. Importing the4 modified file will overwrite the enties that are present now.

reghakr

reghakr,

I am sorry, I don't know much about Windows registry. Do you mean that I have to find all new installed dll names in the file that I have to import back to the registry and increment dword number by one? Also, some new dll files are not even in that file. What should I do with them?

Try this, export the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs key, save it as shareddllsnew.reg.

Right-click on that file, choose Edit. Locate the first file, right-=click on it,m choose Edit. Position the Windiws so that you can see both files. You just need to be concerned with the same name DLL's (you'll up the number by one in the first file you exported). If there are any new .dll names, you add them to the file in the same format as all the other. Don't be concerned about any other names. Save the file, then double-click on it to add ALL the correct information into the registry.

As an example, you would change a DWORD value:
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\MSJET40.DLL"=dword:00000003
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\MSJET40.DLL"=dword:00000004

or a hex value:
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\mfc30.dll"=hex:01,00,00,00
"C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\mfc30.dll"=hex:02,00,00,00

reghakr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back