Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error Message: cannot add or change a record because...

Status
Not open for further replies.

stellJess

Programmer
Oct 3, 2002
US
a related record is required in table <tableName>

can someone please help me out with this.

i have a a mainForm with clients demographics and a subform that captures the many details pertaining to the client. one client can have many details. however, when i try to add a detail record on the subform, i get the error message that i cannot add or change a record because a related record is requied in the 'Details' table.

i've gone through the threads and have not found anyone with a similar problem. it's probably something very simple that i'm over looking. any help you can give me is greatly appreciated.

in adance, thanks.

Ok, this sounds like a relationship issue. The table that u are trying to add data to is a &quot;Child&quot; table. There is a requirement for a &quot;Parent&quot; record in a corresponding table.

Review the existing relationships within the database. Open the database in design mode. Hold Shift Key when openning database should permit u to bypass menus or login page. Next press the Relationships option under the Tools menu. Review the graphic. This will depict the parent - child relationships that exist.

To solve the issue, add a record to the parent table; then add records to the corresponding child table.

htwh,

Steve Medvid
&quot;IT Consultant & Web Master&quot;

Chester County, PA Residents
Please Show Your Support...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back