Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error message after install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 8, 2003
US
I've tried to install Sniffer Pro 4.50. The installation procedure completes OK. However, after installing I'm prompted to choose a network adapter (both my adapters are recognized), but when choosing either of them, Sniffer shows an error message that says the following:

"Sniffer failed to open the selected adapter.
This may be a result of:
1. Agent connection attemped; cancelled by user.
2. User failed to enter correct password.
3. The agent has reached its limit for the number of Host Connections.

"This may also be caused by one of the following conditions:
1. The adapter driver is installed more than once.
2. The previously selected PCMCIA adapter has been removed.
3. The Token Ring adapter cable may not be connected to a MAU or token ring hub.

Click on OK to select another adapter."

On another thread of this forum, one user got the same message and two people replied telling him that he should put the NIC in promiscuous mode. However, I don't run any Ethernet adapter nor network card. My adapters are the dial-up adapter (for dial-up access) and the DSL modem (USB, for DSL access). I understood that it was the program the one that put the adapter in promiscuous mode, isn't it?

I have used other sniffers before, and all of them have worked OK with both adapters.

Please, could anyone tell me how could avoid this error?

I'm running Win98 SE, and remember that no Ethernet card is installed.

I'd really appreciate any help. Thanks

That's really odd. I have Win 98SE with Sniffer 4.5 and I have it use my dial up all the time.

I can see the Sniffer not liking the USB adapter, but the dial up should work fine.

Is your dial up configured for an internal modem or a serially attached modem?

fortunat, many thanks for your help.

The modem is internal. It's a Motorola SM56 Version 4.10.
However, I would be more interested in using Sniffer with the DSL connection, if possible. But, as you already hinted, I've heard that these type of applications can have problems with DSL USB modems...

Looking forward to hearing from you again; and, once more, thanks for the interest.

JustAsking

Is your modem one of those *wintel* software driven modems? or is an *old* style where the intelligence is on a chip on the card? If it's the newer Wintel style, then more then likely you would have troubles.

If it's not too much trouble, try an external modem.. old style like a US Robotics/Hayes etc.. At that point you are using standard(read as normal) drivers for the port which should work well.

MikeS
Find me at
"The trouble with giving up civil rights is that you never get them back"

I think it's a SoftModem (lacks DSP), a Wintel one. It has always worked fine, though... during normal operation and with several different sniffers.

However, I'm more interested in the DSL modem (I barely touch the dial-up access these days). How about it?

BTW, many thanks for your help. Greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back