Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error - limitation of no. of tables or select statements

Status
Not open for further replies.

rushdib

Programmer
Jun 12, 2001
US
Hi,
I am getting the following error:

"Could not allocate ancillary table for view or function resolution. The maximum number of tables in a query (256) was exceeded."

We have a report which uses about 50 functions (returns tables) to calculate various parts of the components. There are functions inside functions (like sub queries). The main functions are connected inside a stored proc which populates a table with the results so that the report can be run in Access 2000.
I am testing this in MSDE 2000, so I don't know whether the limitation is due to that.

Thank you,

Rushdi

See

256 tables per query is a limitation of sql server.
What you are doing is usually performed via temp tables and you will probably find it more efficient to do that anyway.

I would look at the design of what you are trying to do as redundent tables would probably help your development.

======================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
DTS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back