Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

error in the error log

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoder7588

Technical User
Feb 5, 2001
US
i am getting an error in the error log. It reads like this.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: w32time
Event Catergory: None
Event ID: 62
Date: 2/5/2001
Time: 8:09:58 AM
Computer: SERVER
Description:
This Machine is a PDC of the domain at the root of the forest. Configure to sync from External time source using the net command, 'net time /setsntp:<server name>'.
Data:
0000: e5 03 00 00 a...

Well, have you tried what it suggests, from the command prompt (for example):

net time /setsntp:192.5.41.209

Also, see Microsoft Knowledge Base Q216734 - How to Configure an Authoritative Time Server in Windows 2000.

Hi,

I have tried using the command
net time /setsntp:192.5.41.209

but i keep getting the same error? Did you figure out how to fix this?

Thanks

This command will go on the Internet to sync time. If you dont have a full time connection to the Internet it will give that error, and if you have a full time connection make sure that the firewall is not blocking the sync.
Here is what is posted for that error at Event ID: 62
Source w32time
Type Error
Description This Machine is a PDC of the domain at the root of the forest. Configure to sync from External time source using the net command, 'net time /setsntp:'.
Comments Adrian Grigorof: The Time service is not configured to use a reliable source for synchronization. Try &quot;net time /setsntp:ntp2.usno.navy.mil&quot; followed by &quot;w32tm /s&quot; (Internet connectivity should be available between the server and the ntp2.usno.navy.mil NTP - Network Time Protocol server)

When I ran the &quot;w32tm /s&quot; command the message i get is
&quot;RPC to local server reeturned 0x0&quot;
Does this mean that I am not getting a connection b/w my server and the remote Time Server? Also how can I check connectivity b/w the two.

Thanks

You should be able to ping that address if you are getting a reply then you should be able to access it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back