Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error in Linked Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashark

Programmer
Nov 21, 2002
IN
Hi Group,
I am receiving error while trying to connect to Linked Server

Error 7399

OLEDB error trace OLE DB Provider 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB4.0'
IDBInitialize returned Authentication failed.

What can be the error?

Regards,
ashark

Sure sounds like a bad password or username. What type of database are you trying to connect to?

I am trying to connect to SQL Linked Server.

If you are trying to conenct from SQL server to SQL Server.In Enterprise Manager---Security ---Right click on Linked servers --- Select Server Type "SQL Server"and fill in the server name in the "Linked Servee" column.

Choosing Other data source is for heterogeneous server like oracle,sybase....

Now it says "SQL server does not exist or access denied"

Regards,
ashark

You need to fill in the security tab too, so that the first server knows what context it's using for the linked server. If you're using Windows 2000 security, you can employ delegation (use the login's security context). Otherwise, you'll have to create mappings from users on the 1st server to standard SQL login(s) on the linked server.

I've got the same problem.

I have all logins on the SQL server using the same sybase remote userid and password.

I've tried to use the OPENROWSET function passing throught the appropriate User ID and Password but get the same error.

We have a System DSN set up and have verified that it works via VB script.

There is an article on Microsoft's web site saying that the ODBC driver isn't supported for sybase.

We are running a SQL2000 server on Windows 2003 server.

We are running a Sybase 12 ASE on a Sun box.

I'm trying to get the OLEDB drivers from the SDK but working with the outsourcing IT company is like talking to a brick wall.

I'll post what ever answer eventually works for us.

Seems that those that have got this working don't really want to detail their setup of drivers etc they have. Not talking TT really....just in general this question comes up all the time but no one ever answers it very fully.

Hope I've been helpful,
Wayne Francis

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back