Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error in Installing SMS2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodgen

IS-IT--Management
Feb 26, 2002
CN
When i install SMS2.0 on a NT server4.0 pc, there are some errors like some .mof can't be compiled. I select skip then set up can continue.But when i want to open SMS managemnet console after set up completed, the error dialog box will jump out and i can't use it. The debug imformation as below:
_com_error exception in MMC Admin UI!

Description: Invalid Services Pointer!
Entry Point : CComponentDataImp::tm_InsertNode
Operation :
Command Line: C:\WINNT\System32\mmc.exe "D:\SMS\bin\i386\sms.msc" "____" "" "" "" "" "" "" ""
Trace :

MMF Build Info : SMS 2.0 Beta (1239)

I know that this is not a solution but might help you to some extent.

My assumptions:
You might be installing SMS 2.0 from a DEVELOPER EDITION backoffice CD.
---
if yes, there are several hotfixes (NT-Backoffice)which are needed to be installed before you deploy SMS2.0. They can be found in one of BO Server CDs (dont remember the CD number).

---
if no, install SMS hotfixes (SMS SP1) and can revoke the settings. It should solve the problem. Also, dont forget to install MMC module seperately.. you can download it from ms.

Cheers,

Subbu
subbu_v75@hotmail.com

Hi Subbu,

I have a similar problem, inspite of installing hotfixes, I frequently get mmc Dr.Watson error. I am in great trouble now.. please help .. urgent..

David

Yep, I got what you are saying.. here is the solution. I'm sure it will work for you.. try it. (But ofcourse! dont forget to take your database backup if its products)

1. If you site is linked to multiple sites (especially if its in multi-domain env) got to install a patch.. Q251070.exe.

2. Grab SMS2.0 SP2 CD. (If you are downloading from the web, make sure you have SMS2.0 SP1 CD build ready.. easy way is through CD)

Once done .. it should work.

Beware: Make sure you stop all replication stuff if you have multi-site settings.

Cheers,

Subbu

yes,i install sms from a DEVELOPER EDITION backoffice CD because i just want to evaluate it. Today i patched SMS with service pack 1 and i found it was ok! I can use SMS admin console. But now i found a new problem that when i use smsman.exe to manually install sms client,it alway prompt that it can't locate SMS server. So now the client is only SMS server.
How can i do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back