Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error in Event Viewer

Status
Not open for further replies.

hppsf

Technical User
Aug 28, 2001
US
I just set up a 2000 Server and I keep getting the following error message in the event viewer:

The DNS Server for this DC does not support dynamic DNS. Add the DNS records from the file "%Systemroot%\system32\config\netlogin.dns" to the dns server serving the domain referenced in that file

The server appears to be working fine. The network has 20 machines with half win98 and win2000 It is doing everything I want it to do (share files and save documents).

Any guidance is appreciated.

Mike

If you only get this on startup then as far as I have understood it is just AD coming up before the DNS service. Finding no DNS server the dynamic zone updates do not work. However AD does this on a regular basis so it will not fail on subsequent attempts. I have tried messing about with service dependencies to get the DNS server up before AD but to no avail. To sum up : ignore!

On the other hand, if you are getting this regulary a possible problem could be that AD uses network configuration to obtain it's active directory DNS server. If you have set up your AD server to use your ISP's DNS server AD will not be able to update the zone. You must set the AD servers DNS server to a DNS server that will allow dynamic updates (usually on the AD server itself).

Hope this helps,

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back