Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error Importing data from Access to Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kchinnaswamy

IS-IT--Management
Jan 31, 2001
US
Hi

I am trying to import data from Access(97) DB to Excel. It shows an error DATA TRUNCATED and then it says "Couldn't read this file". This is when
I try to create a query in Excel to get data from the Access 97 database. Is there any other way to get around this, the database looks fine and I don't see any file problems.

please help

Kumar

Kumar, what are the field types in the Access table? Check specifically if you've got any memo fields.

Even though you are getting an error, it may not apply to your actual data but would apply if there WERE data (text strings) in there that were long enough to cause the problem.

Always repair and compact your data regularly. Do that, try again.
techsupportgirl@home.com
Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word

Guys,

I have a similar problem, but i am trying to do this the other way around. I.e. import from excel to access 97. I know this i very straightforward procedure, but for some reason it comes up with an error, but does not specify what the error is, so i cannot look this up to rectify it.

I have made the excel document the same as the database datasheet format so they are both the same, and thus importing shoudl be a breese. But it is not. Any ideas?

I have tried posting other threads but no luck in terms of response so i am now of a hunt to find a thread/faq to help me.
Thank you for your help already.

Matt Pearcey

Matt,
I too have had some difficulty importing Excel data into Access. For the most part it works fine, then there's the rare occasion that it doesn't.
The most reliable solution for me has been to save my Excel data as a txt or csv file and then importing the new file into Access.
If this is a regular event for you, such as a monthly feed, you could write some code to save the Excel data to a predetermined file and filetype and set up import specifications in Access to get consistent imports.
Or... you could try adding the Excel sheet as a linked table.

Page410

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back