Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error icon when booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chusan

MIS
Nov 13, 2001
US
When I try to boot up Mac OS 8.5 I get a folder icon in the center of the screen with a flashing "?" and flashing Mac Symbol (little split faced guy). Does anyone know what this indicates? I also tried to boot from the CD to reload the OS but I get the same folder icon.

My Mac knowledge is very beginner so this is probably something simple. Thanks for any help.

---Chuck

The computer can not find the HDD to bootup from! Can you boot from the OS CD? If you can't fix it in 20 call someone who can.

No, I can't even do that. It looks like I may also have a bad CD ROM.

Are you holding down the 'C' key when you reboot the computer, this will make it boot from the CD.

More information is required please.

Which mac model is it?
Have you seen the computer running fine? If you can't fix it in 20 call someone who can.

Yes, I am holding down the C key and no boot off the CD still. I really think it's a bad CD ROM drive now. This computer is actually in a lab at a college campus. The lab really isn't used very much (and there's 17 other computers there) so I have decided to put this one on the back burner for now. But thanks for your help.

---Chuck

Ok, here is the deal....

Your Mac has suddenly stopped recognizing the Hard Drive inside it. You have tried holding down the "c" key with the system disc in it, to no avail. Now try this. Have the system CD in the CD Rom drive again and start the machine. As it starts up, hold down the Command (Apple), Option, Shift, and Delete keys at the same time. This will force the machine to focus on the cd rom drive for bootup, because it looks for scsi devices. If you don't hear the cd drive running, your cd drive may in fact need to be replaced. Do this next, and then resume this plan. If this does work, you will be able to use the machine, but something should be done to return it to normal.....Here is where you need to find a copy of Norton Utilities for Mac. Running that and fixing the errors it comes up with normally will return your mac to its happy little self. Worst case scenario.....you re-initialize your hard drive and start over.

-stykler

Thanks so much. I'll give that one a try before I give on it.

---Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back