Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

error handling from SQL server problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbosley

Programmer
Apr 3, 2001
CA
I am developing with VB 6 SP4, MDAC 2.5, SQL server 7.

I am currently having difficulty with raising errors back to VB from a SQL 7 sproc. Within the sproc I call &quot;sub&quot; sprocs to lookup different values (factors) and return 0 if success and 1 if the factor is not found. The main sproc works fine with the sub sproc. The problem lies when a 1 is returned from the sub sproc (no record found) I check the return value and IF @intRetVal <> 0 I raise an error with the following code:

EXEC @intRetVal = sproc @intVar1, @intVar2
IF @intRetVal <> 0
BEGIN
SET @chvErrorMessage = 'Error in sproc'
RAISERROR (@chvErrorMessage,11,1)
GOTO ErrorHandler
END

ErrorHandler:
RETURN (@intRetVal)

The following code is how I call the sproc from VB:

Set cmd3 = New ADODB.Command

With cmd3

.ActiveConnection = conRating
.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc
.Parameters.Append .CreateParameter(&quot;QuoteID&quot;, adInteger, adParamInput, 4)
.Parameters.Append .CreateParameter(&quot;PlanID&quot;, adInteger, adParamInput, 4)

.Parameters.Item(0).Value = frmRate.txtQuote
.Parameters.Item(1).Value = frmRate.txtPlan

.CommandTimeout = 0 'Override default of 60 seconds

.Parameters.Append .CreateParameter(&quot;RequestUserID&quot;, adVarChar, adParamInput, 10)
.Parameters.Append .CreateParameter(&quot;RequestDateTime&quot;, adDate, adParamInput, 8)

.Parameters.Item(2).Value = fMDIMain.pstrLogin
.Parameters.Item(3).Value = dteRatingStart

.CommandText = &quot;dbo.spr_BasicLifeRating&quot;
.Execute , , adAsyncExecute

End With

GoTo Cleanup
errHandler:

'error routine

Cleanup:

End Sub
--------------------------

The conRating connection object is declared WITHEVENTS and that seems to be working fine.

I have tried the RAISERROR with severity 11, 16, 18 and state 127 but nothing will trigger the VB error handler. When I return from a sproc that has an error I have even tried checking the COUNT of the errors collection and it is 0. I have tried returning the value from the .EXECUTE to a recordset and checking that rs.fields(0).value which returns one of the SELECT '*** information for debugging ***' values instead of the 0 or 1 that is in the RETURN(0) at the end of the sproc.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back