Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error Generator for Ethernet 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

douglas767

Technical User
Feb 27, 2002
BR
Hi,

Does anyone knows how I generate errors en ethernet network?
I need to generate errors and capture this errors with Sniffer.

Thanks in advance!

Douglas

Hi Douglas,

Generating Errors on Ethernet are a little tricky since:
a) the default ethernet NDIS (microsoft) drivers will not intentionally create an errored packet. On that same note, these same drivers will not capture an errored packet.

That is why packet analyzer vendors always have certain cards the recommend you use along with their drivers to 'see' errors.

On the network side store and forward (Layer 2) switches will not propagate errors. Depending on the exact byte location of the error, a cut through or hydrid switch will not propagate errors as well.

If your on a hub and now you can see errors with your ethernet driver just set a card on that hub to gull duplex and transfer some data to see errors.

If you were looking to generate errors at the application error, then we have a different "ball of wax". But I assume you were looking for the first scenario.

Regards ;) 'Making things work better; bit by bit.'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back