Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error during update (i am clueless)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I am trying to update win98 to win2k pro on my desktop computer. I got through most of the installation and after the 3rd reboot in the section called "Performing Final Tasks" i have a problem. The first two steps(Install start menu item, register components) run fine, but about 60% through the "Upgrades program and system settings" i get a blue screen(error listed below) and my Hd spins down i all i can do it turn off power.
Screen is as follows
----------------------------------------------------------
***Stop: 0x00000023 (0x000E00C8,0xBE7A3808, OxBE7A3460, OxBFF0D16B) FAT_File_System

***Address BFF0D16B base at BFF 050000, Date STamp 3814ad92- Fastfat.sys

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical dump complete. Contact your system administrator or technical support group.
----------------------------------------------------------
I am just putting it in at home on my Ibm Aptiva amd k6-2 w/192mb RAM. Any help is appreciated, i know nothing about win2k. My plan was to play with it this weekend.

Clay

fastfat.ss relates to the hard disk .
This would indicate that there could be a problem with your hard disk
the upfrade will not run a full disk scan.
try running a full scandisk, and check out the disk for errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back