Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error deleting file or folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucy47

Technical User
Feb 21, 2002
US
I have 7 files in my recycling bin that I cannot delete - I get this message when I try
Error deleting file or folder
Cannot remove folder WebEditor 5
Cannot find the specified file
Make sure you specify the correct path & file name

How do I clean out the recycle bin and get rid of this.

Not sure. Try booting into Safe Mode and deleting it there. Can you restore the items in the recycle bin? If so, restore them and then delete them again.

ChrisP

Thanks Chris
Yes I have tried to delete them in Safe mode. No they don't restore either....they just sit there, annoying me :-(
Lucy

Do you have Norton Utilities? If so, install it with the use Norton Protected Recycle bin option. Afterwards, you can either keep Norton installed, or uninstall it. After you uninstall it, Norton should put it back to a working state.

ChrisP

Do you have Norton Utilities? If so, install it with the use Norton Protected Recycle bin option. Afterwards, you can either keep Norton installed, or uninstall it. If you decide to uninstall it, Norton might fix any errors that is causing your problem.

As a last resort, you can always do a dirty reinstall of Windows.

ChrisP

Can you use the DiskCleanUp tool see if that does anything. Have you tried System Restore to go back to when your Recycle Bin worked properly.

Give this a try!
In true Dos (not Windows Command Promp) if you have it (fat32 file system)
At the command prompt, type the following lines, pressing ENTER after each line:
attrib -r -s -h c:\recycled
deltree c:\recycled
It will be recreated when you restart.

READ THESE TOO

In each link copy and paste entire link.

FROM THE NET QUOTE

"Well I found out what the problem was...I have Norton protecting files in my recycle bin. Norton was not allowing me to delete a specific file because the original path from which the file had came from was deleted. I turned off Norton protection on my recycle bin and all files were successfuly deleted thanks"

END QUOTE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back