Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error Deleting File or Folder in XP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCMONSTER

Technical User
Nov 27, 2001
US
Having problems deleting an incomplete mp3 file (download from WinMX). Every time, I get the message "Error Deleting File or Folder - file is being used by another person or application". Well, nobody else is using it so I move on the idea of another application. To solve that issue I restart in Diagnostic Mode and only boot the essentials. Still the same message. Can not figure out how to remove this file. Not causing any problems, but it annoys me that I can't delete the file and I have made this my mission to figure out. Any help will be appreciated and I can't find any source of help on Support@Microsoft.com.

I get similar problem all the time when using XP CD Burning. The only way I can delete a file in this situation is to Log Off and Log On again. It then lets me delete the file.

I even tried to use a Win98 boot disk to access the file before XP had a chance to load anything, but Win98 is Fat32 and I'm NTFS. File is apparently corrupted beyond approach. Wish MS could provide an answer to this problem.

Have you tried this (taken from another forum)............

1. Boot into safe mode
2. Log on as administrator (merely logging on as a user w/administrative priveleges seemed to be insufficient)
3. Locate folders/files that you're having trouble accessing (reading/writing/deleting etc...)
4. Take ownership (as administrator) of folder/files
5. under the security -- advanced tab, bestow ownership onto the 'administrators' (not 'administrator')
6. 'Allow' all actions (full control, read, write ...)

Let us know if it works.

linney,

Thanks for the help.
I had been trying to delete the Cookies folder from a user I removed. Your suggestion was the one that worked. :-D

reghakr

I can't boot into "safe mode" as administrator in XP Home, only Professional. In fact, the only near resemblance to safe mode is to restart in diagnostic mode through run >msconfig . Please advise if there is another way.

Are you hitting F8 on startup?

If you haven't set an Administrator password, just type Administrator and click OK.

reghakr

Yea, hitting F8 on startup does nothing. Just keeps booting to the Welcome screen. In fact, I had to reinstall XP the first of December and don't even remember seeing an option to set administrator password.

KCMONSTER,

I had a problem with my XP Home and not being able to get to safe mode. The directions said to hit 'F8' when a certain screen came up, but that never happened. So, when I reboot, I just start hitting 'F8' and I end up getting the screen for booting in safe mode.

-Bill

In a multi boot situation you might have to specify what operting system you want as default start up system. If you specify one this is probably the one safe mode will launch (not sure about this I have enough trouble with one system and don't run dual systems).

To specify the default operating system for startup
Open System in Control Panel.
On the Advanced tab, under Startup and Recovery, click Settings.
Under System startup, in the Default operating system list, click the operating system you want to start when you turn on or restart your computer.

Perhaps now Safe Mode will launch your chosen system.

I only use XP Home. No multi OS here either. The file is only several KB, therefore not consuming consideable resources. Bothers me that I can't boot to safe mode though, only diagnostic mode through >msconfig. I was told there is no true "administrator access" for XP home, only professional.

i have had the problem of not being able to delete several files and folders ever since i've had windows xp. after finally looking into the matter, i am the administrator of my computer, it is a home version, and i don't seem to have a log on option to be an administrator or to delete these files which seems ridiculous. no one else uses this computer, and i have found no dialogue that has been helpful on the matter. please help.

To caitooo,

You might get the option to log on as Administrator if you boot to Safe Mode.

caitooo,

I did find how to log on to XP Home as administrator. During boot (before Windows loads) on the screen that shows your BIOS info and memory test, just start hitting the F8 key (fast). Keep trying till you get it just right. There is no prompt for you to do this, just do it. You will be taken to a screen where you can boot to "safe", as well as several other options. You don't go to a "welcome screen" to log on as administrator......at least on my machine I didn't. Anyway, my problem still couldn't be resolved using safe. This weekend, something trajic happened, my "windows/system32" became corrupted and I could do nothing but a full system recovery. Went ahead and performed a full NTFS format to get rid of any crap.

Good Luck

Same Problem here (deleting files) until I deleted them using command prompt........ Not sure why it worked, but it did :]

I have had the same type problems deleting some files and programs in XP,but what do I do if I don't get a pre-screen on boot-up like others do, my machine goes from Welcome to My desktop,in a little over a second. My System is a HP Pavilion,with Windows XP Home Ed. that I can remember I had no opition to sign in or put a pass word or anything. For user it just says Owner. Any idea's.
Carol

Granny47,

If you see an account named Owner, rename that account with a user's name. The Owner account, with computer administrator privileges, is created during installation if no user accounts are set up at that time.

Go to the Help and Support program under the Start Menu and type in User Accounts in the search box. Check out "Common Tasks: User Accounts" to set up your own account.

When you set up an account you will be able to give it a password if this is what you want.

Ok this is what i did after trying everyones ideas which didnt work for me, I rebooted, hit F8 to get into the safe mode option screen, choose safe mode with command prompt, find your way to the file you want to delete, and type the basic dos command del "filename" (not in quotes though) bingo its gone, no error. i first tried in regular safe mode but it was still locked. The only other question i have is How can you change users while in safe mode under the user you signed on as... without rebooting and starting in safe mode again as the new user, there must be a way to do it since it is ultimately based on dos or am i wrong...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back