Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error codes 0516-304 & 0516-1122 when using mirrorvg

Status
Not open for further replies.

theramster

Technical User
Aug 18, 2003
GB
Hi,

Could somebody help with an error I have.

History

Hdisk0 Had hardware errors. ( Part of rootvg )
hdisk0 not removed properly -d missed off rmdev.
Added new disk allocated hdisk8 because hdisk0 still around.
Used extendvg worked o.k.
used mirrorvg caused the problems listed above.

The error is somthing like can't find old pvid.

Any help would be appreciated.

The 0516-304 relates to one of your Customize Device Configuration database files being damaged, and while you ran your command, this file collected some illegal parameters for the device ID.

Procedures for Recovery
Deactivate the volume group.

Use the lsvg -o command to find out if your volume group is active. If it is active, run the varyoffvg command.

Remove the definition of the volume group from the system by using the exportvg command.

Add the definition of the volume group to the system by using the importvg command.

Activate the volume group by using the varyonvg command.

--
| Mike Nixon
| Unix Admin
|
----------------------------

Hi Mike,

Thanks for that.

Two concerns about this.

1) At present the server is up and running. ( No mirror )

2) It's rootvg does this complicate matters?

I need to be able to do this without taking the server down if possible. Is this achievable?

Did you break the mirror when you initiially removed hdisk0?

Anyway, when you did rmdev -l hdisk0 the CuDv ODM object class still contained a stanza for hdisk0 and when you added the new disk it came in as the next disk (hdisk8) since you already had 8 in the ODM (hdisk0 - hdisk7). Then when the mirrorvg was ran it attempted to mirror rootvg back to hdisk0, which of course doesn't physically exist anymore, hence the errors.

Did anything get mirrored to hdisk8? Is the volume group in a sync'ed state?

You are going to have to break the mirror so that hdisk1 is the only disk containing rootvg. Then find all the entries in the ODM for hdisk0 and remove them with odmdelete (which you will have to be very specific and careful with - it can totally *&!@ your system if you mess up. Create a backup of the ODM first.), run synclvodm (because your ODM is messed up more than Ozzy), remove the new hdisk8 definition, run cfgmgr to bring in the disk as hdisk0, then extendvg and mirrorvg.

Oh, and I wouldn't attempt to boot right now until you get it fixed, because your boot image is invalid because of hdisk0 and could cause you problems at boot.

Also, I should add, when you are finished with what I said above, create a new boot image with bosboot.

Hi Justatechie,

Thank you so much for you response.

Excellent advise. What oject classes do I need to check for the existence of hdisk0?

I have checked the CuAt oblect class and found that the rootvg entry has got 3 entries for pv's. At present rootvg only has 2 pv's.

Any other advise really appreciated.

If you have a mksysb and savevg it may be the easy way out...

--
| Mike Nixon
| Unix Admin
|
----------------------------

Hi Mike,

Thanks for that I am starting to think this is my best option.

I was trying to find a way to do this without taking the system down.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back