Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error code 31 using PCMICA

Status
Not open for further replies.

applywithforce

Technical User
Mar 31, 2005
GB
Hi guys,

One of our sales guys is running a Sony Vaio VGN-TX1XP on Windows XP SP2. He uses a Orange (PCMICA Merlin U530) card, however, every time you restart the PC it reports error code 31, cannot load drivers required for this device.

I have uninstalled the card and drivers (included when you install the Orange Mobile Connect software) and re-installed using the latest drivers from the Orange site, however, the card will not connect. I have also changed the COM port assign to no avail.

I have seen this error code before with CD-ROM's and remember editing the registry. Can anyone advise if I require to do the same thing here and if so what?

Many thanks!

In the BIOS settings for your computer, load the 'Fail-Safe' default settings, and then reactivate the most frequently used options such as USB Support.

This is a quote from a missing post.

"micker377 (TechnicalUser) 16 Mar 05 0:23
Is this a "multi-slot" reader that mounts in a case "bay"? My ECS mobo has a special header (uses an adapter that comes with the reader) on the board just for a "reader". The mobo has 6 other USB ports built in (on the back of the mobo). The reason I bring this up is, if you plug into the "special" header, it dis-ables USB 1 on the backplane. Found this after much research (yes - it is explained in the manual!)."

314634 - Windows XP Does Not Detect Your New USB Device

General USB troubleshooting in Windows XP

HOW TO: Disable the Use of USB Storage Devices in Windows XP

USB device does not function after connecting device to a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer or to a Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005-based computer

CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19, or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP

Thanks for your post linney. It turned out to be some sort of Nokia Sync cradle software hogging all the COM ports. I removed the software and all the devices being used by the software in Device Manager and now the card is working OK!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back